Another gluten free option for making a tomato dish, without meat.
8 ounces Brown Rice penne or rotini pasta
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 medium onion, diced
2 large carrots, diced
10 ounces crimini mushrooms, stems removed and diced
15 ounces chickpeas, drained and thoroughly rinsed
1 tablespoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons herbes de provence, optional
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
1/3 cup red wine, dry
20 ounces tomato puree, or crushed tomatoes
3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped, optional
salt and freshly ground black pepper
*You can also add a half a bunch of cilantro, diced very fine for extra added flavor*
- Boil a large pot of water. Salt the water and add the pasta. Cook until just al dente, about 7 minutes, and drain.
- Meanwhile, place the chickpeas in a blender or food processor and pulse a few times, just until beans are roughly chopped (stop before beans are pureed into a smooth and creamy texture).
- Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onion and carrots and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the crimini mushrooms and chopped chickpeas and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and add the garlic powder, herbes de provence, and (optional) crushed red pepper flakes. Stir until well combined.
- Add the red wine and cook until wine is reduced, about 2 minutes. Add the tomato puree, stir until well combined, and season with additional salt and pepper.
- Allow sauce to simmer and cook about 2 minutes more. Remove from heat and immediately stir in cooked pasta.
- Top with fresh chopped parsley (optional), and serve.